Current Position and Professional Functions
Dr. Bombard is a scientist in the Keenan Research Centre of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's Hospital; Associate Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto; and Associate, Ontario Institute of Cancer Research.
She is an interdisciplinary genomics and health services researcher specializing in the assessment and translation of genomic technologies in clinical care. Her program of research focuses on assessing the health outcomes, ethical and policy implications of integrating personalized genomic tests and technologies into healthcare. She has also developed a related program of research on public engagement to inform health technology assessment and policy development, largely focused on population screening and personalized medicine. She has an appointment in the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation at the University of Toronto. She is interested in accepting students and fellows in the areas of genomics, personalized medicine, public and patient engagement in health policy and health technology assessment.
Education and Training
Fellowship, Yale University (Health Policy); Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (Cancer Genomics); Fellowship, University of Toronto (Health Services Research); Interdisciplinary PhD, University of British Columbia (Medical Genetics); BSc, McGill University (Biology).
See Yvonne Bombard's publications on her Pubmed profile.
Research Interests and Expertise
She is interested in genomics, health services and policy research, personalized medicine, digital health tools, health technology assessment, public and patient engagement, comparative effectiveness research,implementation science, knowledge translation, mixed mixeds, ethical and policy research.
Her other activities include:
- Co-lead, Societal Values and Patient Engagement Program, the Canadian Centre for Applied Research in Cancer Control
- Member, Institute Advisory Board, Institute of Genetics, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Member, Ontario Genetics Advisory Committee, Health Quality Ontario
- Member, Provincial Council for Maternal and Child Health’s Prenatal Screening Advisory Committee
- Member, Steering Committee of the Canadian Coalition for Genetic Fairness
- Chair, American Society of Human Genetics’ Duty to Recontact Guidelines Workgroup (2017-2019)
- Visiting Investigator, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Clinical Genetics Service (2013-2016)
- Chair, American Society of Human Genetics’ Social Issues Committee (2014-2015, 2017-2018)
- Member, Provincial Council for Maternal and Child Health’s Maternal-Child Screening Committee
- Chair, European Huntington Disease Network’s Discrimination Working Group (2009-2010)
- Member, Cancer Quality Council of Ontario’s Personalized Medicine Steering Committee (2010-2011)
- Member, Cancer Care Ontario’s Patient Experience and Performance Committee (2013-2015)
- Member, Patient and Citizen Involvement Working Group, Health Technology Assessment International (2009-2014)
- Member, Ethics Working Group, Health Technology Assessment International (2009-2014)